Monday, July 28, 2008

He loves Fire trucks

Gabe loves everything having to do with Fire trucks. My friend Karen posted pics. of her boys on her BIL fire truck which reminded me that I needed to post about this. It's been in the past couple of months, probably April that this all really came about. We discovered this show on our cable's Sprout's Video On Demand. It is Fireman Sam. It is made by the same people that produce Bob the Builder (I think) but is based in the UK.
Gabe cannot get enough of Fireman Sam. He even likes it when Casey and I sing the theme song. (It's Fireman Sam or Bob the Builder).
Mommy on the other hand gets tired of it pretty quickly. They have only about 5 episodes to choose from so over the course of a few days/week I am pretty tired of Fireman Sam. Gabe calls him "Firetruck sam." So cute!
We also have a book "Firefighter Frank" that he loves. I picked this up at Half price books and he has had us reading this to him every night at least twice. I've learned to improvise the story to make it go quicker. I hit all the high pionts. There is one page in the book where it shows a picture of all the school children who come to visit... well here is the story..."When school children come to visit, Frank loves to show them around..." There are several children on the fire truck and others standing around the truck. Gabe always slaps the page and says, "NO, NO." very angrily. I of course say, "no we are happy that the cildren get to sit on the fire truck." Well after many attempts at this I finally pointed to a boy in the picture and said, "Look, there's Gabe." He's been happy for the children ever since and now when we read the story he points to several of the boys and says, "Dabe." Sure, why not? We point to other little boys aand say, "Look there's Noah. and cousin Abby and Emily." Kids are so funny. Now he points out Noah, Abby and Emily. At least he isn't hitting the page anymore.

Well, all this to say that last night as Casey was putting Gabe to bed, I looked into the family room and noticed torn pieces of paper all over the floor. At closer inspection, it was the Fire fighter Frank book torn to shreds. He must have been angry with us at some point in the last day. I can't even recall when he had been up there by himself in the last couple of days. Who knows. Needless to say, the book is in the trash. I'm not sure we'll replace it although I am sad about it since it was his favorite. Casey reminded me that he is only 2. I wasn't that upset about it but was really just inquiring as to why he would tear up his book. Well, I always remind myself about the time I got mad at my sister and cousin Lang at my Mamo's house in Ardmore. I was about 8 and I was so mad at them that I carved into a wooden bench the words "I hate you." My Mamo found the bench and her feelings were hurt. I can remember that like it was yesterday. She still has the bench and she never refinished it or tried to fix it. It's funny now. Gabe reminds me a lot of myself and my mom thinks so too. He doesn't like it when people watch him play or look at him for that matter. (Of course this really depends on his mood). But if he catches someone looking at him while he's playing, he'll say "No." in a growling voice. I remember being this way when I was 4 and 5. I'm not sure why but I didn't like people to watch me play. I guess I thought they were making fun of me.

I can't believe I went so long without blogging. Hopefully I can keep up.

2 comments:

karen richardson said...

Too funny! Their little personalities sure are developing at this age, aren't they?!

I love that he loves fire trucks! When we move back to DFW we will certainly go back to Uncle Jeff's fire station and Gabe can come along with us!

Ginger said...

I didn't like when people watched me play also. However Reagan doesn't seem to mind it. When is your due date again? Does Gabe seem to understand?