Thursday, August 28, 2008

Being pregnant with a 2-year-old

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I will have to say that this is rare, even since I've been pregnant. I may be tired in the morning but truly am not cranky most of the time. Well not today. I was tired AND cranky. I'm at that point that getting comfortable in any position is hard but especially lying down. I am 39 weeks pregnant and did not think I would be going to this Doctor's appointment. Baby brother was supposed to already be here.
So Gabe and I headed to the Doctor. We had to wait at least 30 minutes to get in for what is normally a 5 minute appointment. The nurse practitioner said I had not progressed since last week and really should wait till my Dr. gets back in town (she was half way joking, I think). Then we headed back home. While we were out I just kept thinking, "Why does it have to be so HOT!!!???" Once back at the house, I had to muster up the energy to clean up which included sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor. I was so tired and DID NOT feel like doing this but kept thinking of my reward of taking a nap afterwards.

So I swept and got the bucket and mop out. Gabe immediately decided he wanted to "Help." He took the mop and was dragging it across the floor. I cannot discourage this kind of behavior! Hello, I love it that he wants to help and will utilize his help for many years to come.
So I'm encouraging him and praising him for helping mommy mop and trying to instruct him on how best to help.
He wants to make footprints on the newly cleaned floors and I tell him that is not helping. :)
(Have I mentioned that he has 1 million toys that are far more interesting than a mop and bucket?)
Anyhow, he finally stops making footprints and goes over near the bucket to inspect the bubbles. He keeps saying, "Dup it out?" Which is a phrase he has learned to ask when he wants to dump out boxes of his toys. And most of the time the answer is, "Sure go ahead and dump it out." (I should mention here that he has learned to ask because I have gotten so frustrated with his dumping of the toys that when he does this my reaction is, "why do you have to dump ALL the toys out?" I know how silly this sounds asking a 2 year old a question which he will have no answer for.) But I digress...
I respond, "we will dump it out in the bath tub and Gabe can help mommy dump it out, but not right now." He repeated this a couple more times over the course of 5 minutes or so and I continued to be sweet and say "No, not yet." When there was just about 5 more minutes of mopping I turn around to see Gabe dumping out the bucket of soapy water all over the kitchen tile. There's at least 1 gallon of water spreading quickly. Wow! Was I upset. Did I already mention I woke up cranky? I did not use a nice voice and told him to go to time out. I then proceeded to get some towels and try to figure out the best way to clean it all up. Did I also mention how worn out I'm feeling these days? I'm super tired and did not feel like mopping to begin with, but was mustering up just enough energy to hit the high spots.
Well, I stood there mad, upset, frustrated...and thought I could really cry over this. And then thought, "No, I'm not going to cry." But then thought, "But I'm entitled to cry...I'm 10 months pregnant, tired and miserable and now I have to deal with this." So I quickly convinced myself that crying was the best option. Oh goodness. Sometimes you need a good cry, I guess. So I spent another 15 minutes cleaning up the water mess with the mop and then the towels all while having a good cry. Gabe eventually gets out of time out and comes over on his tricycle to see me crying. He says, "Dabe ty." as he points to his eyes, indicating that he can cry too. But he soon shuffles off on his bike and is a happy camper.

I do have to say that my floor is really clean now.

And then later we went to the Mattel toy store and the man in front of us insisted on purchasing our toys for us. I have no idea why he did this but I was very thankful that God acknowledged my bad day by sending a sweet person to do such a nice thing. It wasn't about the money, but about the very kind gesture.

Gabe is so sweet and so cute and has always been very compliant. He is almost 2 and a half and has just started to blatantly disobey. We have been very fortunate. Unfortunately, it could not come at a worse time. I've already heard stories of what the older kids do while mom's nursing the baby because they know mom can't get up to stop them. :)

1 comment:

Leilanni said...

Oh - this post make me feel your pain! But I love the story about the toy store . . .don't you love how God takes care of us in the most unexpected ways???