Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten!

August 22,2011
My baby boy is going to Kindergarten!  There have been many tears over this day.  I cried in the spring when we were considering making this decision.  I cried after I dropped off his registration, and I cried the day of meet the teacher and that evening after meet the teacher.  I find myself overcome with tears driving or whatever.  But I have put on a happy face for Gabe and he has been very excited about this day!  He told his preschool teachers in the Spring that he was going to kindergarten at the school down the street before I had even decided if that is what he would be doing.  Who can blame him.  His whole life we have passed the elementary school down the road and said, "There's the school you'll go to when you are 5." 

The night before, I ironed his clothes and made his lunch.
So Monday morning came and I got up at 6:15.  Gabe does not like eggs but I wanted him to have something with protein in it for breakfast.  So I got up and made him french toast.  I curled my hair (why, I'm not sure) and put makeup on.
We are going to walk to school because it is that close, but it is so hot, I didn't want to walk and get to the school all wet and sweaty.  So I decided we'd drive and Casey and I would take separate cars so he could leave right after drop off.  That was a bad idea!   We had to park pretty far away any how and would have been better off just walking.  (We have since found out that drop-off and pick-up is chaotic and takes some getting used to).
We all walked him in class and he hung up his back pack.  We took some pictures and kissed him goodbye.  As we were walking out,I realized I had forgotten to put a water in his lunch, so we wwent to the cafeteria to buy one.  We went back to his class and put that in his backpack.  He is so well-adjusted in general.  He does not cry when we leave him ever!  And he didn't cry this time either.  But of course, I cried a little after I walked out the door.  The PTA had organized a "Boo-Hoo, Woo-Hoo Breakfast" in the library that morning.  So Gavin and I went to the library and had some juice and donuts.  I met a nice couple while I was there but didn't meet any parents from Mrs.Smith's class.
At 2:40, Gavin and I headed out the door to go pick Gabe up.  I went to the office to ask a question and ran into a friend who has older kids as well as a kindergartener, Brady.  Brady and Gabe see each other at church and were in BSF together last year.
Come to find out, I had forgotten the paper with Gabe's name on it that I would need to pick him up.  The office printed me a new one and we headed out to the pick-up area.  They bring the kids outside onto the sidewalk and make them all sit down.  The parents stand around holding up their signs and they call out the kids names using a megaphone.  Gabe did not hear them call his name so I was waving trying to get his attention.  He was all smiles and had a great 1st day! 








Gabe and Mrs. Smith





When we came back to bring his water the table had filled with his friends. 

He's tired of the pictures I think.  :)

No comments: